torsdag 16. oktober 2014

Seminar Critique-Self Assaessment

I have based the grade of my self-assessment on two key criteria: participation and communication.
In our first group meeting I was assigned as one of the team members to draft emails, interview questions and topics we wanted to cover, to which we would further send to potential guests. I was assigned to be one of the members of our group that the guests could turn to in case of any enquiries concerning anything related to preparations or to the seminar itself. Nevertheless, as the semester moved on, so did my role within the ‘Women in Media’ role. This is was occasionally happen when working within a framework that is quite broad in terms of aspects of roles that need to be filled and jobs to be done. I am the potato (that might be a Norwegian saying?! Potatoes can be used for many things – they are quite versatile.
In this self-assessment report, I have listed the main roles I filled in preparations and during the third seminar of ‘the wanted’ seminars: Women in Media.
Promotion: During a few of the first of our group meetings, we tackled the difficult task to integrate a theme within our topic and seminar. A few of the group members and I came up with ‘Femme Fatale’ and started setting a structure for the promo video, photos and posters.
Contacting guests: As one of our guests was unable to join us at the set date and time, I contacted Elizabeth McCarthy from 3RRR Fm. I sent her all necessary information: topics to be covered, questions, link to facebook event and promo video. I became Elizabeth’s contact persons until my final ‘thank you’ email.
Sound: I volunteered to be the groups’ sound-guy during the seminar, and that meant firstly to source gear: a friend lend me his mixing desk, I booked microphones, recorder and cables that was needed. I sourced royalty free music and sounds to which I used to create a playlist for the seminar that were coherent with the set theme.
On the day of the seminar, after I had set up the sound equipment I ran around lending hand where I could : I made name tags for guests, helped setting up the stage, coffee runs and helping Elizabeth find her way in to the set room and then to find my place behind the mixing desk.
As I discovered writing both my PNR and Work Attachment Report, I can do a few things, but if there is one thing that I simply cannot do it is to stick to one thing only. I cannot and will not settle for one aspect of the job. I need to be a little all over the place.
Overall, I learned what is needed to prepare such an event, and I feel I got to see exactly how much work that was needed in order for it to run smoothly, just because of the fact that I was all over the place.

For the time and effort I put in to the seminar, I gave myself an HD – 80%

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar